Luma Comfort Air Purifer: FAQ
Filters Operation & Use
- Why would I need an air purifier?
- According to the EPA, indoor air is as much as five times more polluted than the air outdoors. These pollutants can include dust, pollen, mold, pet dander, and even more harmful particles, including bacteria and viruses. These airborne particles can affect your health and exacerbate allergies and asthma symptoms. Air purifiers are designed to clean the air through trapping and removing these harmful particles. Luma Comfort PureClean air purifiers include five different states of purification designed to make your air cleaner than ever.
- What should I look for in an air purifier?
- Air purifiers come in all different shapes, sizes and styles, so ultimately it will depend on your situation. The two most important things to look for shopping for an air purifier are the coverage area and the filter type(s). Air purifiers are all designed to work in specific room sizes, from small closets to large warehouses. Be sure to pick an air purifier that is designed to work for a room your size. There are many different types of filters found in air purifiers. The most common filter is called a HEPA filter. These are designed to trap even the smallest airborne particles. Air purifiers can also include additional filters, made from materials such as carbon, activated charcoal and TiO2 coated metal. Each type of filter can target a different pollutant or particle, so know what you're trying to clean from your air, as well as what filters can target that pollutant.
- What filters are included in a Luma Comfort PureClean Air Purifier?
- Luma Comfort air purifiers include four different filters, along with a UV light. They are: a carbon pre-filter, HEPA filter, VOC or activated carbon filter, and a TiO2 filter. Each filter targets a different type of airborne particle, making the PureClean air purification system one of the most advanced found on the market today.
- What is a carbon pre-filter?
- The carbon pre-filter, the first stage in a Luma Comfort PureClean air purifier, is designed to trap large particles found in the air. This particular type of filter has two purposes. The first to help prolong the life of the HEPA filter by trapping large particles, which allows the HEPA filter to focus on smaller microscopic particles, extending the HEPA filters lifespan in the process. The other main function of the carbon filter is to eliminate odors from the air, such as cigarette smoke, pet odors and other chemical vapors.
- What does a HEPA filter do?
- A HEPA filter is designed to target the smallest of particles found in the air. These particles can include microscopic pollutants that are not visible to the naked eye. HEPA filters are designed to trap smoke, dust, mold spores, pollen, pet dander and more. The majority of air purifiers include a HEPA filter, although not all HEPA filters are the same. Luma Comfort PureClean Air Purifiers have a HEPA filter designed to trap more than 99% of particles as small as 0.3 microns in size.
- What is a VOC filter and what does it do?
- A VOC filter is also commonly known as an activated carbon or charcoal filter. This filter is designed to combat volatile organic compounds, or VOCs. These carbon-based airborne chemicals are found in a number of items commonly found throughout the house, including paint, furniture and carpeting. The activated carbon included in the VOC filter targets and removes these particles from the air.
- What is a TiO2 filter and how does it work with the UV light?
- A TiO2 filter is a simple mesh filter coated with titanium dioxide, or TiO2. This filter is designed to work with a UV light source to target and render bacteria and other contaminants harmless. Through a chemical reaction, the particles created by combining Ti02 with UV light attach themselves to harmful airborne compounds and burn off the offending pollutant, turning them into nothing more than harmless carbon dioxide and water molecules.
- Do I need to change the PureClean filters?
- Yes, you will need to replace PureClean filters to ensure the purifier continues to properly clean and purify the surrounding air. Exactly how often the filters need replacement will depend on the condition of your environment. Luma Comfort PureClean air purifiers all include a SmartClean filter life indicator that will let you know when it's time to change your filters.
- How do I replace the filters?
- Replacing the filters on PureClean air purifiers is quick and easy to do. Simply push in the two tabs on the sides of the air purifier to remove the front panel, allowing access to the internal filters. Find and replace the filter you want to change, and then put the filters back into the unit. Then, simply snap the front panel back in to place.
- How do I turn off the SmartClean filter life indicator
- Once you've replaced the appropriate filter, you can then turn off the SmartClean filter life indicator light by simply pressing the button for several seconds, as noted in the product manual.
Operation & Use
- How do I turn on the PureClean air purifier?
- To turn on your air purifier, press the power button located on the control panel found on the top of the unit. To turn the unit off, simply press that button again.
- How do I change the settings?
- Luma Comfort air purifiers include three adjustable fan speeds and a seven hour timer. Both settings can be adjusted using the control panel found on top of the unit. To adjust the fan speeds, press the fan button, found immediately next to the power button. Each press of this button moves the fan speed between 1, 2 and 3, with 3 being the highest speed. To set the timer, press the timer button on the control panel, located next to the fan button. Each time you press this button, the timer will increase by one hour, as indicated by the lights on the control panel. For example, pressing the button twice will set the timer for two hours, indicated by the 2 light being lit. Pressing the button seven times will set the timer for seven hours, indicated by the 1, 2 and 4 lights being lit on the control panel.
- Can I leave the unit running all day?
- Yes, you can. Not only are you able to run the Luma Comfort PureClean Air Purifiers continuously, but we recommend running them for extended periods of time to ensure you are constantly filtering the air in your environment. The timer function is a great way to run the unit for an extended period of time, and then have it shut off automatically.
- Where should I put the unit in my home or office?
- The best place to put your air purifier will ultimately depend on your environment. That said, there are a few general recommendations: Put the purifier in an area that will allow it to have adequate air flow. This means at least six inches from the wall and away from furniture. The closer to the middle of your room, the better. If you are worried about a specific source of pollution, it is also beneficial to place the unit as close as possible to that source. We also recommend using the unit either in an area where you spend the most amount of time, or in an area that needs air purification the most. The bottom line is that Luma Comfort Air Purifiers are designed to fit anywhere in your home, so pick the spot that works best for you. And feel free to move it as needed!