Table of Contents
Luma Comfort HCW10B Cool and Warm Mist Humidifier
The Luma Comfort HCW10B is constructed in a modern square box design with a patterned textured detail in a sleek black finish.
- Dimensions: 9.8" x 5.6" x 9.9"
- Weight: 5.1 pounds
- Voltage: 120V
- Wattage: 105W
- Frequency: 60Hz
- Mist Type: Cool and warm mist
- Tank Size: 7.3 pints
- Noise level: 40dB
- 3 Mist Settings
- Built-in hygrometer for custom humidity control
- Pre-set humidity level
- Removable water tank
- Demineralization cartridge (DMC)
- 12 hour timer
- LED display
- Helps maintain a healthy living environment for you and your family
- Cool mist is refreshing and safe to use around pets and children
- Warm mist can slightly warm up a room if it is cold, and this mode fights bacteria in the tanks better
- Removable water tank is easy to fill and fights bacteria
- Accurate control of indoor humidity levels
- Demineralization cartridge helps control lime scale and mineral build-up
What does this humidifier do?
A humidifier is a home appliance that adds moisture, or humidity, to the surrounding air. To put it bluntly, humidifiers add water to your air. Humidifiers typically regulate the humidity in a single room or confined space, however there are some models designed to humidify larger areas or even entire houses. Typically, these work in conjunction with your heating and cooling system.
Why should I use this humidifier?
The HCW10B is versatile and solid. It gives you a choice between cool mist and warm mist, so you have two types of units in one. The removable water tank makes it very easy to refill and clean the tank.
Additionally, this humidifier generates micro fine mist, offers near-silent operation, and stays out of the way but is sleek enough to look like it fits in with your home.
Where exactly can I use this humidifier?
The HCW10B is suited for a single room or area of up to 538 sq ft. such as:
- Living rooms
- Office Settings
The look of this humidifier is much like a speaker box, and so might fit right in if placed near your home entertainment system. Keep in mind that any humidifier should not be placed too close to electronics so that any mist that might get on the electronics doesn't have any impact on its performance.
Furthermore, a humidifier placed too close under a television or window might fog up the TV screen and window glass, so place your humidifier accordingly.
Where the HCW10B can also be placed:
- Side table
Which is a better type of humidifier, evaporative or ultrasonic?
Both humidifiers produce the same results but work very differently than the other.
For example an evaporative humidifier increases humidity with its fan and wick filter. The water that sits in its reservoir (bowl-like container) flows to the wick filter, which is then blown by the fan and transforms into a cool mist.
On the other hand an ultrasonic humidifier uses vibrated technology to break down water into small droplets which then formulates into cool mist particles.
- The ultrasonic humidifier is a lot quieter than an evaporative humidifier and designed to last longer
- The evaporative humidifier uses less energy than the ultrasonic humidifier and is generally less expensive
Which type of mist is better, cool mist or warm mist?
Both cool and warm mist humidifiers have their place, and both are equally effective at adding humidity and moisture to the air. The main difference between cool and warm mist humidifiers is simply the temperature of the mist put out by the unit.
With the Luma Comfort HCW10B you don't have to choose between cool or warm mist because it has settings for both:
Cool mist humidifiers typically more energy efficient as they use less electricity to operate than warm mist units. This also makes them less expensive to operate, although the difference is usually minimal. Cool mist units are also safer to use around children, since there is no heating element.
Warm mist humidifiers include a heating element, allowing them to distribute warm mist throughout a room. This means they can act as a separate heat source during the winter months, allowing you to turn down your heat. Warm mist humidifiers can also lead to cleaner air, as any germs or bacteria can be killed by the resulting steam. Warm mist can also feel more soothing when you have a cold or the flu.
So, as to which is better - cool mist or warm mist - the answer would be both!
Does this humidifier require filters?
No. It has a demineralization cartridge that takes care of the minerals in the water that might build up.
Can this humidifier be hooked up to a water line for an auto-fill option?
How often should I clean the HCW10B?
We recommend cleaning your humidifier regularly - at least once every other week. We also recommend changing the water in your unit daily to ensure it remains free from any build up or bacteria.
How do I clean the HCW10B?
Regular cleaning and maintenance is an essential step in maintaining the longevity of your humidifier and ensuring that it operates free of defects.
Maintain your humidifier by following these steps:
- Always unplug the humidifier from the power supply before servicing or cleaning.
- Regularly wipe all surfaces dry to prevent the accumulation of microorganisms in and around the humidifier.
- Empty the water tank and the internal reservoir once every three days.
- Clean the humidifier's water tank and base every two weeks.
- If the humidifier will not be in use for an extended period of time, clean it thoroughly, place the unit back in its original carton, and keep it stored in a clean, dry place.
CLEANING THE WATER TANK
1. Ensure the unit is unplugged.
2. Empty the water tank completely and rinse with clean water.
3. Wipe all surfaces of the water tank dry using a clean, soft cloth. A disinfectant wipe can be used if available.
4. To disinfect the tank and remove hard water buildup, fill it with a solution of water and 3% hydrogen peroxide (recommended by the EPA). Allow it to sit for 15-20 minutes, swirling the water occasionally, to remove mineral buildup. Rinse thoroughly with clean water.
5. Clean the humidifier's base by wiping it thoroughly. Use the included brush to scrub away residue on the ultrasonic atomizer, the silver circle inside the base.
6. To remove mineral buildup from the base of the unit, pour a mixture of plain vinegar and water into the reservoir in the base. Allow it to soak for up to 20 minutes, then rinse thoroughly.
7. Wipe the interior surfaces with a soft cloth and allow it to dry completely before reassembling.
8. Use a soft cloth and a mild soap and warm water solution to clean the unit's exterior. Do not use harsh cleaners, gasoline, paint thinner, benzene, etc., as these substances can damage the humidifier.
9. Thoroughly dry all of the humidifier's parts with a soft cloth before reconnecting the unit to the power supply.
What does the demineralization cartridge do?
The demineralization cartridge is designed to remove excess minerals from the water in your humidifier. By filtering out minerals from your water, these cartridges can improve the quality and lifespan of your humidifier. Additionally, they will help to limit the amount of scale build up caused by hard water inside your unit.
How long will the demineralization cartridge last?
The Luma Comfort demineralization cartridge (DMC) is designed to work for upwards or one year before needing a replacement. The actual lifespan will depend upon the quality of the water you use in your humidifier. In areas with extremely hard water, the cartridge may need additional maintenance or quicker replacement.
How can I maximize the lifespan of my demineralization cartridge?
Simple maintenance can help recharge and re-activate your demineralization cartridge, extending it's, and your humidifier's, lifespan, while also improving the quality of mist put out by your Luma Comfort humidifier. To recharge the cartridge, simply soak it in a mixture of water and a couple tablespoons of vinegar. Allow it to soak for 15-20 minutes. We recommend doing this about once a month, again depending on the quality of the water.
ASSEMBLY/ SET UP INSTRUCTIONS
Carefully remove all packaging materials and retain for future storage/use. Make sure there is no residual foam left in any of the components. No tools will be required to assemble this humidifier.
1. Unscrew the nozzle as indicated in figure 1 and remove the water tank from the base as indicated in figure 2.
2. Remove the water tank cover as indicated in figure 3 and pour water into the water tank as indicated in figure 4.
3. Place the water tank cover back onto the tank as indicated in figure 5 and place the entire water tank back into the unit's base as indicated in figure 6. You should hear the water flowing through the tank. If you do not hear water flowing through the tank, remove the water tank and replace it back onto the base.
4. Screw the nozzle back onto the unit.
1. Plug the humidifier into the power supply. The unit will now be in standby mode. All other keys will be invalid except for the power button.
2. Press the power button. The humidifier will detect the water level in the tank. After 2 seconds, if there is sufficient water in the tank, it will begin to operate and the indicator light will turn on.
3. The default settings for the humidifier are as follows: medium mist setting, the timer function will be off, the fan will be on, the unit will be in cool mist mode and the humidity level will be set to 70%.
1. To change the mist mode from cool mist to warm mist, press the C/W button on the control panel. Once the unit is set to warm mist, the C/W indicator light will turn from blue (cool mist) to red (warm mist). The humidifier will then heat the water in the tank. This process can take up to 5 minutes.
2. The mist settings and the timer settings are both controlled by the "+" and "-" buttons. To switch from the humidity settings to the timer settings, press the "S" button to adjust the corresponding settings.
3. Without pressing the "S" button, pressing the "+" and "-" buttons only will control the misting output. There are three misting output settings - high, mid (medium) and low. After pressing the "+" or "-" buttons, your desired misting output will be shown on the control panel as indicated in the diagram below.
4. On the high mist volume setting, the unit's output is 300 ml/h. On the mid mist volume setting, the unit's output is 210 ml/h. On the low mist volume setting, the unit's output is 120 ml/h.
SETTING THE HYGROMETER
1. To set the hygrometer, press the "S" button so that the numbers in the center of the control panel with the "%" sign light up. Press the "+" and "-" buttons to set your desired humidity level and wait 5 seconds before adjusting any other settings. The hygrometer can be set from 30% to 70% relative humidity.
2. Once your room is at your desired humidity level, the unit will stop adding mist to the air and the fan and atomizer will turn off. It will restart once the relative humidity decreases by 5%.
3. If the room's humidity level is at 70%, you will see this image:
This means "Continue." If this is displayed on the control panel, it means the humidity in your room is at the maximum level. Use the "+" and "-" keys to adjust the humidity level. Otherwise the atomizer and fan will stop working until the relative humidity drops by 5%, as indicated above.
1. Press the "S" button twice so that the "H" indicator light turns on in the control panel. This sets the timer function. Use the "+" and "-" keys to set the timer's duration. The timer can be set from 1 to 12 hours. After your time has been set, wait for 5 seconds and do not press any other key.
2. The display will revert back to the humidity level but will alternate between showing the humidity level and the set time.
- Run the unit on the lowest setting to extend running time.
- Set the humidistat at your desired humidity level. This will turn the unit on and off as needed and extend the running time.
- When filling the tank, fill it up completely and then place it on the base. Let the water empty into the base until it stops bubbling, then refill the tank again. This ensures maximum water capacity and will also extend run time. The Luma Comfort HCW10B will run up to 40 hours without interruption, depending on room conditions.
- This humidifier operates with a demineralization cartridge that makes it capable of operating with any kind of water. However, using distilled water in your humidifier will keep it running in optimum condition for a longer period of time. It will also make easier to clean your humidifier, and eliminate white dust.
- Only operate your humidifier in areas where the relative humidity is lower than 50 percent. Higher humidity levels will encourage the growth of bacteria and other biological organism.
What kind of water should I put in my humidifier?
You can use any type of water at all with a Luma Comfort humidifier, particularly since it has a demineralization cartridge to remove excess minerals from your water before creating mist.
That said, using distilled water has some additional advantages. Distilled water has little to no mineral content, so it can help keep your humidifier running in optimum condition for a longer period of time. It can also make cleaning your humidifier easier and all but eliminate white dust.
How long will the water tank last?
The HCW10B water tank will last up to 40 hours.
This estimated run time is based on average room conditions. The actual run time of your humidifier will ultimately depend on several variables, including:
- Air exchange in the room where the humidifier is located
- Room construction
- Temperature of the room
- Humidity levels in the room
- Movement of occupants and opening/closing of doors in the room
- Home furnishings in the room
- Mist settings
The unit's mist settings play a big role in how long the tank lasts. As a general rule, the higher the mist setting, the faster the HCW10B's tank will run out of water.
Also, the way the mist settings work with already existing humidity levels in the room have some impact on how long the water tank lasts.
The unit will measure the level of humidity in the room and work at the mist setting you choose to bring up the humidity to the desired levels. Once those levels have been reached, the humidifier will turn stop emitting mist until humidity levels drop below the desired level.
So, the more dry it is in a room, the longer your humidifier will run, which will use up the water in the tank faster.
Can the tank be filled from the top?
No. To fill the tank you must remove it, turn it upside down to unscrew the plug, fill it, then replace the plug and set the tank right side up back into the unit.
How can I make my humidifier run longer?
There are several things you can do to extend run time for your humidifier:
Run the unit on the lowest setting. For instructions on controlling the mist output on your Luma Comfort humidifier, please see the included product manual
If your humidifier has a humidistat, be sure to set a desired humidity level. This will turn the unit on and off as needed and extend the run time
When filling the tank, fill it up completely and then place it on the base. Let the water empty into the base until it stops bubbling, then refill the tank again. This ensures maximum water capacity and will also extend run time.
What happens when the tank runs out of water?
The unit will beep to let you know that the tank needs to be refilled.
It can be difficult for some people to be able see the water line in the tank, so this tank refill alarm should be helpful.
How long does it take for the water tank to heat up?
Up to 5 minutes.
What is the maximum humidity setting?
The high mode mist setting gives an output of 120ml/h.
Is this an ultrasonic or evaporative humidifier?
General Humidifier Troubleshooting
Additional unit troubleshooting:
Why is the water tank refill alarm beeping when there is still water in the tank?
There are a few reasons this might happen with your humidifier. Many humidifiers, including Luma Comfort models, have an air intake vent on the underside of the unit.
This allows the unit to pull in air, which is then blown along with the mist out of the top of the unit. Occasionally when using the unit on a thick carpet or rug the air intake can get blocked, which would cause an error message - similar to the low water alarm. The water sensor can also malfunction if the unit is not sitting level. If your humidifier is tilted, it can cause a false reading on the water sensor.
If you happen to get this error, try placing the unit on a hard, flat surface to see if that corrects the problem.
1 Use this humidifier only as instructed in this owner's manual. Other uses may cause electric shock, injury or fire.
2. Close supervision is required if this humidifier is used near children or pets.
3. To protect against electric shock, do not immerse this humidifier or its plug and cord in water.
4. If the humidifier is being transported or will not be in use, disconnect it from the power supply by tightly gripping the plug and pulling it from the power outlet. Do not disconnect the power supply by pulling on the humidifier's power cord.
5. Avoid contact with any of the humidifier's moving parts.
6. Place the humidifier on a level surface.
7. For best results, use purified water in the water tank. The ideal ambient temperature should be between 50 to 122 degrees Fahrenheit.
8. This humidifier's plug is intended to fit into a matching receptacle. Under no circumstances should the plug be altered in any way. An improper connection can result in electric shock.
9. If possible, avoid using extension cords with this humidifier. If an extension cord is absolutely necessary, do not use more than one extension cord to operate more than one unit.
10. Do not insert objects or allow fingers to enter into the humidifier's nozzles or air inlet, as this may cause electric shock or bodily injury. Do not block or tamper with the humidifier while it is in operation.
11. Do not run the power cord under mats or carpeting, and do not cover the power cord with runners. Arrange the power cord away from room traffic and where it can be tripped over.
12. Do not operate this humidifier in the presence of flammable substances or explosives.
13. Do not place the humidifier near an open flame or cooking/heating appliances.
14. This product is not intended for use in commercial or industrial areas.
15. If the humidifier will not be in use, empty the tank of any remaining water.
16. If the humidifier's plug or power cord is damaged, do not attempt to repair the components yourself. Please contact Luma Comfort's customer service hotline at 1-866-737-6390 or have the unit examined by an authorized service provider.