Table of Contents
Luma Comfort HCW10B Cool and Warm Mist Humidifier
Thanks to its design, the Luma Comfort HCW10B Cool and Warm Mist Humidifier is aesthetically pleasing enough to be placed in any room of your home.
Size-wise, it's about as big as a small subwoofer or speaker, and truthfully, resembles one as well. Its shiny black case has just enough of a pattern to make it look interesting while retaining its unobtrusiveness.
- The buttons are well placed to avoid accidentally changing the settings by bumping the device, a perk in any modern day home.
- The controls themselves are laid out in a foolproof manner that is so easy to understand.
- The typical person probably wouldn't even need to read the manual to get the appliance functioning how they would like (though it is highly recommended that they still read it).
In addition, the device is easy and quick to refill, which is definite perk.
For day to day use, I'd recommend putting it in a bedroom for maximum health benefits, or in any room that could benefit from a little extra moisture.
For my purposes, it spent one night in my bedroom, and the second night in my daughter's room. After the first night, I was hooked!
- The Luma Comfort HCW10B measures close to 10 inches tall and wide, and is about 5 1/2 inches thick.
- In addition, the appliance only weighs about one pound, so it can easily be moved by nearly anyone.
- The device's humidity settings range from thirty to seventy percent
- The built in hygrometer allows the machine to maintain the desired level to within 5 percent.
- The device also boasts a 500+ square foot coverage area.
Anyone can tell that the Luma Comfort HCW10B Cool and Warm Mist Humidifier is a cut above the others with one look. Right out of the box, it's sleek, sexy design is appealing to the eye and invites you to use it straight away.
To be honest, I spent more time pulling the humidifier out of the box and reading the manual than I did setting it up! Prepping the machine for use was a breeze - no assembly required, simply add the water to the reservoir and turn it on.
The removable water tank makes set up so much simpler, especially with its handle:
The user interface is intuitively designed for ease of use. Simply select cold or warm, the desired level of humidity and output, then aim the vent in your desired direction and the humidifier does all the rest!
Pictured below: You can adjust the directions of the vents to control where you want the mist to go.
Aside from all the other benefits, the Luma Comfort HCW10B is the quietest humidifier I have ever come across.
I noticed within the first few minutes that this device doesn't make the gurgling noise that is the result of escaping air bubbles in the tank. It may seem like a small detail, but that gurgling noise is what typically prevents me from putting a humidifier in several places I would like too.
In addition, the motor, a little fan that powers the device internally, emits practically no noise at all. I was totally fine with the idea of using this in my daughter's room -- I'm pretty sure the ceiling fan makes more noise than this appliance!
The fact that the Luma Comfort HCW10B Humidifier does both cool and warm air is another great perk; that alone makes this machine perfect for every situation requiring a humidifier.
Warm and cool mist humidifiers each come with their own list of health advantages, and it's really great that this device can maximize those benefits to the consumer by having both options.
- I was pleased to be able to feel the difference between the warm and cool mist modes; beyond feeling the temperature change of the mist emitted, I could feel the temperature change in the whole room!
- The on-board water heater was a concern at first. As a mother and pet owner, I worried the heating element would be able to be felt through the case and burn my child or pets, but to my pleasant surprise, this was not the case. The device stayed cool to the touch, even when in warm mist mode.
- Another of its great features is the built in hygrometer and timer . This humidifier is able to sense the level of humidity in the room, and when that level reaches the amount you have pre-selected, the machine shuts itself off.
- Then, it will monitor the room, and when the humidity drops by 5 percent, the device turns back on. This is a feature I have never seen on any humidifier I've owned, and I love it!
- The beep that accompanies the machine turning back on is loud enough to let you know it is on again, but not so loud that it distracts you.
- Even though the humidifier is not very warm to the touch, it is a useful safety feature that allows cautious owners, who might be concerned about the heating element, to stay alert.
A few other points worth mentioning about this device:
- The amount of mist this machine is capable of putting out and how quickly it can transition from the low to high setting is remarkable
- The shift from low output to high is nearly instantaneous! At a first glance, one could mistake the high output level of mist for a fog machine.
I'd also like to note that it's such an advantage to not have to buy additional pieces to clean this unit.
- First, a brush is included to help with the cleaning process. In addition, the filter doesn't require any special attention, which in my experience, is rare for a device of this type.
- The built in timer is also a useful setting; it's great to be able to "set it and forget it."
- I also was very appreciative of the auto-off safety feature.
- Tank maintenance is made easier with the removable tank and its handle.
The first night in my home, this device spent the night in my bedroom.
I set it to a medium level of cool humidity (40%) and medium output and let the appliance go to work.
My husband snores, and as a result of that, frequently wakes up with sore throats, chapped lips, and a dry nose. I asked him how he felt after he woke up and he mentioned that he had none of the normal complaints that he typically has upon waking.
After further thinking about it, I realized I, too, had gotten a better night's sleep than normal and awoke feeling more rested.
The second night, I moved it up to my daughter's nursery and set it to a higher (55%), warm humidity due to her stuffy nose. I noticed when she awoke -- after sleeping through the night, despite her cold -- that she too looked better rested than normal when she's sick.
The noise from the machine didn't faze her in the slightest. I did notice that when she awoke, the machine was getting close to being out of water; however, I assume this was partially due to the evaporation of the warm water, and partially to the increased amount of water needed to function at the higher humidity.
Overall, I was again pleased with the results.
The Luma Comfort HCW10B Humidifier has several strengths, but I wanted to make sure that it had no weaknesses.
When I received the appliance, I put it through all its paces, from the highest output at the highest humidity, down to the lowest settings at the lowest output, and everywhere in between.
I noticed when using the device that the hygrometer would note a rapid rise in humidity level which I thought was odd. I recommend pointing the vent to a certain direction -away from the sensor, presumably - alleviated this problem and allowed the machine to function much more accurately. It ran all night with no issues after this adjustment.
Overall, I would happily recommend this product to anyone who asked.
I was totally happy with this appliance's performance; it has all the perks that I could want with a high end device of this type - it's easy to use, quiet, has many different settings to appeal to any user, and is both compact and aesthetically pleasing. In addition, this appliance is so easy to refill and clean.
This appliance also seems sturdy and well built. I can't imagine finding a humidifier that would be better suited to my needs.