What Does El Nino Mean For Your Greenhouse?
These require special climate and temperature to take root and offer the best yields.
Of course it is not possible to provide such weather to them outdoors, since you do not control climate! That is why a special chamber is built known as the Greenhouse.
In simple words the greenhouse is an electronically controlled climate control chamber. It creates a specific temperature for the plants grown indoors.
No matter what the temperature on the outside is, the green house will maintain the necessary conditions for your plants.
- In most cases, greenhouses are known to provide a warm temperature to plants. So even if the environment outside is chilly, you plants stay protected from the adverse weather conditions.
- On the other hand, if a humid environment is required for the plants, the green house can achieve that too.
- You have to keep the temperature of the greenhouse constant, with minimal fluctuation. If there is excessive fluctuation in the green house temperature, the plants could be damaged significantly. This can be a challenge as El Nino can cause serious weather fluctuations.
Extreme cool temperatures are rarely a concern as the greenhouse can easily raise the temperature with the least possible effort. The problem is when the exterior temperature heats up severely.
In such a case, the temperature of the green house can also rise significantly. Measures have to be taken to make sure that the temperature of the greenhouse does not rise excessively.
How Does El Nino Affect Greenhouses
El Nino affects greenhouses in a number of ways, and sometimes these affects are not very clear. At times El Nino amplifies the existing weather of the region while in other cases, the effect is completely different.
Even though El Nino can be predicted, the impact it will have on the environment varies every time. In most cases, El Nino increases the temperature of the region significantly.
The main purpose of a greenhouse is to keep plants warm. Greenhouses are used in areas where the weather is quite cool. In some cases greenhouses are used to grow plants that require a high temperature. If such plants were not given sufficient heat, they would not be able to flourish properly.
The construction of a greenhouse is very particular:
- The glass at the top is made such that it allows the sunlight to enter into the greenhouse.
- Once the greenhouse gets the sunlight, it converts to heat energy. This is where the interior of the green house comes in handy.
- The glass installed towards the top makes sure that the heat does not escape from the greenhouse.
As the heat remains inside, the plants stay warm, even in the coldest of weather. During the day, the greenhouse retains heat and keeps them warm while the sun is not shining.
Greenhouses are designed to derive heat from the sunlight. If there is heat outside the greenhouse, it will get excessively hot inside.
El Nino can have a drastic effect on greenhouses.
This is one thing that you have to consider if your area is vulnerable to such climate changes.
The temperature of the greenhouse is quite constant when it is deriving heat from sunlight. But if the environment outside is hot, the heat generated within the green house rises significantly. In such a case the temperature will need to be monitored manually.
- When the temperature rises excessively outside, the greenhouse generates a high amount of heat.
- This will damage the plants in the green house.
- Of course there are some plants that can bear intense heat. But there are others that will be damaged. But it is best for your plants that you try and keep your greenhouse cool.
There are quite a few measures you can take to make sure your greenhouse maintains a steady temperature. Not only do you have to make sure that it does not get excessively hot, but you also keep it from getting too cool inside.
Effects of El Nino on Plants
There are a number ways that the excessive heat will damage plants. There are a few plant types that can bear the hot weather. These plants can also do with little water.
But the plants that are sensitive to excess heat are the ones you have to watch out for. Let's look at the effect of El Nino on plants in the greenhouse:
Plants have a soft texture and they are pulpy on the inside. This structure of the plants helps them retain water in them. If there is too much heat, plants will lose water, just like we dehydrate when exposed to sunlight. When plants are not able to fulfill their nutritional requirements through water, they will wither and die. Dehydration is caused by insufficient water or excessive heat, and there are many symptoms that show that plants are dehydrated.
Discoloration of Leaves
One of the main symptoms of dehydration in plants is discoloration of the leaves. In most cases, the leaves become yellow. El Nino causes the greenhouse to generate immense heat. Leaves turning yellow are a sure shot indication that the plants are facing excessive heat. You will need to have the heat toned down and water the plants properly.
Another sign that the plants in a greenhouse are under stress from heat is leaf shedding. When plants are not able retain enough water for the entire plant, they shed leaves. The leaves that plants shed help them conserve water. Since there are fewer leaves to supply water to, plants are able to survive on little water. Leaf shedding can also be considered a sign of dehydration.
Steps You Can Take To Curb El Nino Affects On Greenhouses
There are quite a few things you can do to make sure that your greenhouse is not affected much by El Nino. If the heat within the green house is left as it is, the plants will dehydrate and wither away. This is why you must take the necessary steps to curb the heat. Let's look at some of the steps you can take to reverse the effects of El Nino:
Type of Fans You Should Install
The best thing you can do is to remove the hot air form the greenhouse is to install fans. There are two types of fans you can install in a green house. The first fan type is a misting or swamp fan, and then you have industrial fan. Both these fans provide adequate cooling to the green house. All you need to do is turn on the fans when the heat in the greenhouse is intense. As the heat level drops, you can turn off the fan.
Which Fan Is the Better Choice
There is an ongoing debate about the type of fan you should be using for a green house. Most people prefer using regular fans while others prefer misting fans. Let's look at both types of fans and see which one is best:
- Regular Fan: Regular fans are a popular choice for use in greenhouses. However, regular fans tend to dry the moisture from the air. This is why it should only be used if the environment is damp. Regular fans should not be used in dry areas. This is because plants will have hard time retaining moisture if these fans are running.
- Misting Fan: The best fan to use for a greenhouse is a misting fan. These fans are ideal for use in dry and damp climates alike. But you should take care not to use misting fans in commercial type greenhouses. This is because misting fans can promote moisture buildup on the equipment and cash counter. It will encourage cooling, but it will make the surroundings damp. But if you have a non-commercial greenhouse, a misting fan will be the best option.
To make sure that the temperature of the green house is balanced, it is best to install thermometers for accurate monitoring. This will make it easier for you to monitor the internal temperature of the greenhouse.
- If the temperature is exceeding the desired limit, you can make efforts to bring down the temperature.
- Do keep in mind that the thermometers should be strategically placed.
- Make sure that there are thermometers towards the ends and the middle of the greenhouse. This will make sure that you are getting temperature reading for the entire greenhouse.
- Accurate temperature reading will help you to manage the greenhouse temperature effectively.
You cannot control the weather changes brought about by El Nino. The changes are quite severe and can cause lots of problems for you. However, it is up to you to manage the temperature of your greenhouse.
If you take the necessary measures, you will be able to manage the greenhouse temperature easily. Once again, it is important to install thermometers in different locations throughout the greenhouse to get the most accurate reading.
Follow these tips, and protect your indoor nursery from El Nino!