There’s nothing worse than your evaporative cooler shutting down in the middle of a heat wave. Regular cleaning and maintenance is essential to ensure that your swamp cooler continues to run at full speed summer after summer. Luckily, proper maintenance for evaporative coolers is fairly simple. Here are a few of the more simple evaporative cooler maintenance tips that will keep your cooler running perfectly:
- First things first, always unplug the unit from the wall whenever you are cleaning and performing maintenance on your evaporative cooler.
- To clean the exterior, use a soft cloth with a solution of warm water mixed with mild soap. TIP: Don’t use any type of harsh cleaner, paint thinner or benzene on the unit, as this can damage your cooler
- When not using the cooler, empty the water tank completely rather than leave water sitting in the unit.
- Store your evaporative cooler in a clean, dry place when not in use for an extended period of time.
- Regularly clean the rigid cooling pads of any dust or debris by removing them from the unit and rinsing them with clean water. TIP: Allow the evaporative cooler pad(s) to dry thoroughly before putting them back into the unit.