My Instant Rice Almost Burned My Apartment

Having a job near my apartment is wonderful. I reside in Huntington Beach, California, and work in Santa Ana. I used to make the dreadful commute to Los Angeles, and it would take me over an hour each way. I now only have a 20 minute commute! Luckily, I’m from the Los Angeles area and had my parents’ place to stay at, so I didn’t have to drive every day. My high school friends also live in that area, and we still remain very close. They always come to visit me at the beach, and I figure I can at least visit them every once in a while too. The drive there is even more dreadful than I remember now. I honestly don’t know how I put up with the slow-moving traffic in LA and not to mention the low pay.

It was a Friday night, and one of my friends was having a party with beer pong and other drinking games. Honestly, I was hesitant on going because I was getting low on gas and worried I didn’t have enough money to fill my tank, but for some reason, I decided to go riceanyway. I had a great time owning the beer pong table, and ended up spending the night at my parent’s house because I was too tired to make the long drive back to Huntington. When I woke up, I immediately left to get back to my apartment even though I was super hungry. I had a few groceries in my pantry, and the easiest thing to cook was my instant brown rice. I placed it in a pot of water, turned on the stove, and walked away as it started to boil.

I had an appointment at the salon within the next two hours, and I needed to go to the bank to withdraw some cash for a tip. When I looked inside my purse, I realized I left my debit card in my friend’s clutch the night before. I figured I had enough time to go back to LA and then come back before my appointment. So without thinking, I got into my car and left. I was feeling a lot of emotions at once. I was frustrated, tired, annoyed, and hungry. I cancelled my haircut and just went back to my parent’s house after picking up my debit card. The smarter thing to do was to cancel my card, and go to the bank to get a new one instead of wasting even more of my gas. I instantly fell asleep and did not wake up for another four hours. When I looked at my phone to check the time, I had 10 missed calls and five text messages. I’m pretty popular, but I know I’m not that popular, so who on earth could this be? One of my text messages was from my roommate and it read, “Where are you?!?! Did you leave the stove on? I’m freaking out! There’s smoke everywhere!!!” I assumed our apartment had gone up in flames like Miley Cyrus’ tour bus.

I immediately called her. I can’t believe I almost started a fire with my rice. I have to admit that this was the scariest thing that has ever happened to me. When my roommate came home, she could hear the fire alarm. Our apartment was filled with smoke and probably would have caught on fire if she had not gotten there on time. After I got off the phone with her, I immediately drove back to my apartment AGAIN. When I walked in, I found my roommate on the couch and smelled the scent of an extremely burnt pot. My pot of rice was completely black, crusted in ash. All the windows and doors were wide open to let the stench out, but I knew a solution to make the process quicker – an air purifier.

fire extinguisher and smoke alarmIncidents like these can happen anytime, which is why it’s very important to own an air purifier to get rid of the harmful pollutants that may be trapped in your home. Inhaling smoke is the leading cause of death in fires. It is a mixture of particles and chemicals produced by incomplete burning of carbon-containing materials, specifically creating carbon-monoxide. Carbon monoxide decreases the body’s oxygen supply which can cause respiratory irritation, shortness of breath, and heart and lung disease. Being exposed to low or high levels of smoke, even for a small amount of time, can cause other numerous health problems including burning eyes, runny nose, and an irritation to the throat. The finer smoke particles can change the function of your lungs, making it difficult to breathe.

With a Luma Comfort air purifier, health risks can be avoided by removing such harmful pollutants, even ones that are undetectable to the naked eye. A HEPA filter will be able to get rid of the smoke and odor in my apartment, so I can have peace of mind and feel comfortable living there again. Even without the smoke in my apartment, our bodies are exposed to toxins every day that can lead to serious diseases. Cleaning the air of your home will permit easier breathing and healthier living, and an air purifier is a great investment to benefit our future lives.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *